Tuesday, December 28, 2010

{assignment #1} reflect on the year




image via


With only four days of 2010 remaining, it's time to reflect on this past year. What were the big moments for you? What are you most proud of, and what would you like to do better?


In order to move forward, you must first know where you are.

*   *   *

This was a big year for us {me}. We were blindsided when J got laid off at the beginning of the year. However, it didn't take us long to recover from the shock of it. The lay-off ended up being a blessing in disguise, because it got us off our rear ends and forced us to do something we had always talked about doing: selling the house and relocating to the central coast.

I am very proud of the way we rallied together and got the house done. It reminded me how much fun we have working together on house projects. Plus, it was nice to see my husband smile again. Funny how when he had a steady tethered-to-The-Man job, he was stressed and unhappy; but then, laid-off-and-unemployed-but-working-together-on-a-common-goal...the man is happy!

It was also a great year in terms of adjusting to a new way of life. Relocating to our new (albeit temporary) beach community went well. I did a great job of helping the kids readjust to new schools and new activities. It was important to me that the kids have a smooth transition, and I am proud of that success. As a mother, I rocked it!

Unfortunately, my self care took a big hit. The stress caused me to return to old habits of eating crap as a way of coping. And sadly, I no longer have workout buddies, since they were left behind in the move. This is definitely an area I need to work on.

Another area I would love to work on is my relationship with my husband. He is still my best friend, but one I take for granted. And he takes me for granted, too. I would like for us to woo and pursue each other in the next year. I would like for him to see me as the extremely sexy woman he married, not just the TV-watching partner that I currently am. I would like to rock his world, and I want him to rock mine.

Financially, we could do better. Fortunately, J got a new job after two months of unemployment, and we also did very well with the sale of our house. That said, it's time to become more responsible about our financial situation.

Moving away from all my friends and family kind of killed my social life. It's alright because I'm a fairly socially-quiet person anyways. Moving away has actually made me appreciate my friends all the more. In this new year, I'd like to start making some new friends, but I won't force it. Especially in friendships, I value quality to quantity.

Lastly, I would like to make personal time a regular thing. Whether it's working on this blog, learning a new skill like flower arranging, or getting a pedicure, I deserve to make myself a daily priority. I need to learn that, and my family members need to learn that.

2010 was a great year for transitions; 2011 is going to be a great year for growth and blossoming.


No comments:

Post a Comment